Panola-Harrison EC News
Ways To Make Your Home Safer
Use outlets, cords and appliances properly and carefully

IMAGE: Warrengoldswain | iStock.com

If you have small children, make sure unused wall outlets have safety coverings. Unprotected wall outlets can be a hazard. Also:

  • Check that outlets and wall switches are cool to the touch. Unusual warmth may indicate unsafe wiring and should be checked by an electrician.

  • Ensure all outlets and switches are working properly. Faulty equipment may mean unsafe wiring.

  • All outlets and switches should have faceplates. Exposed wiring is a shock hazard.

  • Check that extension cords are correctly rated for the amount of electricity they are going to carry and are approved by a reputable safety standards organization.

  • Screw lightbulbs in securely. Loose bulbs may cause a fire or shock.

  • Check all electric cords for visible damage. Frayed cords can be dangerous.

  • To avoid excessive wear and cord damage, ensure that cords don’t run under rugs and don’t have furniture resting on them.

  • Do not nail or staple electric cords in place. Cord damage can result in a fire and shock hazard—and extension cords should only be used for temporary purposes.

  • If you have wet hands or are standing on a wet surface or in water, don’t touch or use any electrical device.

  • Small appliances (hair dryers, toasters, etc.) should be unplugged when not in use. Unattended, connected appliances create an unnecessary risk.

  • Keep all appliance cords away from hot surfaces (toasters, range tops, ovens, etc.). Cords can be damaged by excessive heat.

  • Check that all appliances and electric equipment are located away from the sink and bath. Appliances can kill if they come into contact with water.

  • In kitchens, bathrooms and anywhere there is water nearby, standard outlets should be replaced with ground-fault circuit interrupters. GFCIs provide shock protection by quickly cutting off the circuit and preventing injury.

  • Never insert any metal object, such as a fork, into an appliance.

  • Make sure you’re using the correct wattage and proper kind of lightbulb in all lighting fixtures. The wrong type of bulb can lead to overheating or fire.

  • Never leave space heaters unattended when in use.

 

TAGS: Safety

Visit the Panola-Harrison EC website

Sign up for the Texas Co-op Power E-Newsletter


Are you a co-op member?

Don't ask again