This winning recipe was featured in ’Tis Better To Give.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups canola oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon vinegar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
24 8-ounce jars with lids
Cake decorations such as sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In a small bowl, combine oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla. Mix into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Spray an unlined cupcake pan with cooking spray and then fill each hole two-thirds full of batter. Bake about 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in one comes out clean. Cool two minutes in pan, then turn out and put on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, blend cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and the remaining vanilla.
- Once cupcakes are cool, slice in half horizontally, so there is a stack of tops and a stack of bottoms.
- Place one cupcake bottom in each 8-ounce jar. Put a layer of cream cheese frosting on top of the cake. Take the top of the cupcake and place on top of the frosting.
- Gently press down on the top part of the cupcake inside the jar so top flattens out.
- Carefully frost the top of the cupcake and decorate, if desired.
- Cover jars with lids and decorate as desired.
Servings: 24. Serving size: 1 cupcake. Per serving: 430 calories, 3.5 g protein, 26.7 g fat, 40.6 g carbohydrates, 0.4 g dietary fiber, 226 mg sodium, 30.1 g sugars, 57 mg cholesterol
Mayte Arredondo, Bandera Electric Cooperative