skip to content
This recipe was featured in Make-Ahead Holiday Helpers.
Debbie Driggers | Farmers EC
A decadent blend of chive-and-onion cream cheese, butter and heavy cream gives these potatoes a luscious texture and savory perfume that reminded many recipe testers of holiday gatherings or childhood.
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, divided use, plus more to grease baking dish
5 pounds red potatoes, washed and peeled
8 ounces cream cheese with chives and onions
1 teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups heavy whipping cream, unwhipped
Smoked paprika, for garnish
1. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Cut the potatoes in quarters, place in medium saucepan, cover with water and simmer 8 minutes, until soft. Drain well.
3. Combine the potatoes, cream cheese, garlic salt, pepper and 4 tablespoons of butter. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes and combine ingredients. Gradually add the heavy cream and mix until smooth.
4. Spoon the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Dot the potato mixture with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Bake until the top is golden, about 30–45 minutes.
Makes 8–10 servings.
Feel free to use plain cream cheese and add your own freshly sliced or minced scallions and chives. For the creamiest results, consider using a food mill to “rice” the potatoes. Don’t purée the potatoes in a food processor—this will create a gummy texture.