skip to content
This recipe was featured in Sweet Potatoes.
Kanina Hadel | PenTex Energy
These brownies will surprise everyone at the dessert table. Supremely fudgy and rich, they’re excellent topped with a dollop of whipped cream. This recipe makes a large batch but can easily be halved.
3 pounds sweet potatoes
Butter, for the pan
2 3/4 cups (about 24 ounces) smooth almond butter
2/3–3/4 cup molasses or pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Cook’s Tip: For a less gooey brownie, refrigerate overnight before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 50 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft when pressed. Let cool.
2. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and butter a 9-by-13-inch pan.
3. In a large-capacity blender or food processor, purée sweet potatoes until smooth. Add almond butter and blend to mix well. Add molasses or maple syrup and vanilla and blend to mix.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together cocoa powder, almond flour, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients into sweet potato mixture and blend until uniform.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 40–45 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Makes 32 brownies.