skip to content
This recipe was featured in Happy Hours.
Beth Gerhardt | Guadalupe Valley EC
“I’ve been making these Rattlesnake Eggs for over 30 years,” says Gerhardt. “It’s my most requested appetizer. I take these ‘eggs’ to parade-watching parties, Super Bowl parties or any get-together. Just a warning—they will disappear quickly!”
24 medium-size fresh jalapeño peppers
8 mozzarella cheese sticks
2 cups buttermilk baking mix
1 pound hot pork breakfast sausage
1 pound grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or aluminum foil.
2. Remove the stems and seeds of the jalapeños, keeping each whole.
3. Cut the cheese sticks into thirds and stuff a cheese piece into each pepper. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
5. Using a stand mixer, combine the baking mix, pork sausage, cheese and spices; mix until it forms into a stiff dough. Form dough into 24 rounded balls of equal size using a cookie scoop or heaping tablespoon. Take one piece of dough, flatten it and shape it around one stuffed jalapeño to completely seal it inside. Continue to form the dough pieces around each pepper until all are covered.
6. Place the “eggs” on the prepared baking sheet and bake 30–40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Makes 24 appetizers.
Wear disposable gloves when deseeding the peppers.