skip to content
This recipe was featured in How Do You Like Your Shrimp?
Doris Widacki | Guadalupe Valley EC
Rich and creamy with three varieties of cheese, this spicy dip screams “game day” or any other gathering that calls for a warm-from-the-oven snack to slather on crackers or toasted bread.
2 teaspoons creole seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
1 stalk celery, diced
1 shallot, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided use
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided use
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Seasoning blend: Mix together the ingredients and set aside, reserving 1 teaspoon of blend for the vegetables.
3. Shrimp spread: Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Slice each shrimp into 3 pieces, place in a mixing bowl, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the seasoning blend. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, shallot, bell pepper and jalapeño, season with the remaining seasoning blend and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and place the mixture in a large bowl. Add the cream cheese, mayonnaise and 1/2 cup of each shredded cheese to the shrimp mixture, using a rubber spatula to combine. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, top with remaining cheese and bake 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly.
6. Remove from oven, cool 5–10 minutes and serve with bread or crackers.
Serves 6–8 as an appetizer or hearty snack.