skip to content
This recipe was featured in Cookies & Candies.
Christine Henderson | Guadalupe Valley EC
“A few years back, I visited Italy and fell in love with their chocolate and lemon candies,” Henderson says. “This is my reimagined version of the flavors I found there.”
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped slivered almonds
1/2 cup finely crumbled lemon cookies
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
Sugar sprinkles (any color)
1. Put the white chocolate chips into a heatproof bowl and microwave on 50% power 30 seconds, then take it out and stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals at 50% power, stirring as needed. Once the pieces are mostly melted, remove from the microwave and let the remaining bits melt as you stir. This should take about 1–2 minutes. (Don’t try to cook at higher power, which creates a less spreadable consistency.)
2. Once the white chocolate is melted, add the chopped almonds, cookies and lemon extract to the white chocolate and stir until smooth. Let sit 1–3 minutes, until a doughlike texture develops.
3. Wearing plastic disposable gloves or wetting your hands so the dough doesn’t stick to them, form dough into 1-inch balls, rolling them in your hands until they are nicely rounded. Place balls on waxed paper in a sealed plastic container (single layer) and freeze 1 hour or longer.
4. Melt semisweet or dark chips using the same method as the white chocolate chips. Place a wire cookie rack over a cookie sheet. Remove lemon balls from the freezer. Drop a lemon ball into the liquid chocolate mixture and quickly turn to coat. Use a fork to remove the dipped balls and place on wire rack. Repeat with each ball until done. Then cover with sugar sprinkles.
5. Refrigerate chocolate lemon balls on the rack for about 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat, at least 15 minutes more. Remaining balls should be kept in a cool place in an airtight container.
Makes 20 balls.
Cookies and almonds can be pulsed together in a food processor. Don’t use lemon sandwich cookies.