This recipe was featured in Ancient Aztec Elixir.
Tiffany Blair | Coleman County EC
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 can cherry pie filling (21 ounces
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Fresh cherries for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients well. In another bowl, mix together 1 cup water, eggs, oil, almond extract and about half the cherry pie filling.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. With an electric mixer, beat at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Pour half of the batter into the pan.
- Carefully spoon the remaining cherry pie filling over the batter in the pan, keeping pie filling from touching the sides of the pan. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when touched and cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and glaze while still warm.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, combine milk, corn syrup and vanilla, and mix well. Stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Thin with a small amount of additional milk if too thick to pour. Glaze cake evenly over top and sides. Garnish with fresh cherries, if desired.
Servings: 12. Serving size: 1 slice. Per serving: 349 calories, 4.90 g protein, 7.56 g fat, 66.64 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 380 mg sodium, 31.94 g sugars, 46 mg cholesterol