skip to content
This winning recipe was featured in Breakfast for Dinner.
Carly Terrell | United Cooperative Services
We’ll take our eggs and breakfast sausage in enchilada form any time of day. Terrell says this recipe is a family favorite for breakfast, brunch or dinner. Feel free to substitute ham, chorizo or sautéed vegetables for the sausage.
1 pound breakfast sausage
Pinch each salt, pepper and ground cumin to taste
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1 cup button or cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
8 flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, slightly drained
Jalapeños, thinly sliced, for garnish
Green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
Lime wedges for garnish
Salsa or hot sauce for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Cook breakfast sausage in a skillet over medium heat. When the sausage is about halfway cooked, add the seasonings, vegetables and mushrooms. Continue cooking until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables and mushrooms are softened. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
3. Prepare enchiladas. Spoon a healthy amount of sausage mixture into the center of each tortilla and top with a tablespoon of cheese. Roll tortilla snugly and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat, using the remaining tortillas and filling. (Keep the ends of each enchilada “open,” or unstuffed, so the egg mixture can seep in.)
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk with an additional pinch of salt and pepper. Fold the tomatoes and chiles into the eggs, stir to combine, then pour the entire mixture over the filled tortillas. Gently jiggle the dish to help the egg mixture distribute evenly.
5. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes, then remove foil and top with remaining shredded cheese. Continue to bake, uncovered, another 10–15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from oven and let sit about 10 minutes. Serve with the garnish of your choice.