skip to content
Texas author Bill Wittliff’s solargraphs offer a unique look at our natural surroundings
Contest ends May 31, 2021
Enter now for your chance to win a copy of Bill Wittliff’s SunriseSunset: Solargraphs from Plum Creek.
Drink a Beer, Make Some Art
For the past several years, photographer, screenwriter, and author Bill Wittliff has been placing photographic paper inside beer cans, tubes made of PVC, and other cylindrical containers and affixing them to posts, trees, and other vertical supports on his Plum Creek Ranch near Luling, Texas. Wittliff pokes pinholes in the containers and allows the sun to “paint” on the paper over periods that can last anywhere from a few days to a year.
A Little Bit of Magic Realized
In SunriseSunset: Solargraphs from Plum Creek, this relentlessly inventive writer and artist has gathered some of his favorite creations, offering them as a visual tribute to the interaction of a particular place within the great arc of the cosmos. He confesses an infectious enthusiasm for harvesting such unpredictable products of light and time as he roams with his canine companion Louie across a locale he describes as “a continuous miracle. ... I want to see new worlds on a piece of paper ... I want to be astonished ... I’m always greedy for another miracle.”
• You must be a member of a Texas electric cooperative to enter.
• The deadline for entries is May 31, 2021.
• No purchase necessary.
• Online entries only. One entry per person (multiple entries will be disqualified).
• Entrants must be 18 years of age or older and a legal U.S. resident.
• Current employees of Texas Electric Cooperatives and their immediate families are not eligible.
• One winning entry will be drawn June 3, 2021. We will notify the winner by June 5, 2021. If we cannot contact a winner by 5 p.m. on June 10, 2021, another entry will be drawn.
• Prizes are not transferable.
• The winner is solely responsible for any taxes incurred.
• The winner’s name and likeness may be used in promotional materials related to the contest.
• By entering the contest, contestants agree to the above rules and regulations.