Welcome kids! This is the place to come to learn about electricity and energy.
What Can You Do to Save Energy?
Saving energy is one of the best ways to conserve natural resources. There are many things you can do at home to help your family become more energy efficient.
Five Easy Ways to Save Energy
- Turn off lights, computers, TV and other electrical stuff when you aren't using it.
- Replace regular light bulbs with energy saving Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL's).
- Don't leave the refrigerator door open. Cold air escapes and this uses a lot of electricity.
- Taking a short shower instead of a long bath can help save energy.
- Plant a tree. Trees create shade around your house and help keep it cool.
5 Rules for Energy Safety
- Always ask a grown-up for help when you need to use something that uses electricity.
- Don't yank or pull cords from a wall. Pulling cords can damage the outlet, the appliance or the plug.
- Ask a grown-up to put safety caps on all unused electrical outlets. This can also help save energy by stopping drafts.
- Keep electrical stuff away from water. Water and electricity don't mix. Most electrical accidents in the home happen when people use electricity near water.
- Watch out for power lines. Never touch a power line, especially if there is one that may have fallen down.